Record Store Day has turned into a global celebration of music and a very important event for the music industry, independent record store owners, and those of us committed to vinyl playback. Music fans around the globe just celebrated Part One of Record Store Day 2021, and while for most the day was a huge success, not everything about it went off without a hitch. The flippers and gougers have returned. Grumblings about favoritism towards specific retailers abound and we interviewed one Michigan-based retailer who had a lot to say about the importance of the day and the politics behind it. The ecoustics team digs deep into the topic and how it was experienced across N. America. Special thank you to Jordan Pries, co-owner of The Electric Kitsch in Bay City, Michigan for taking the time to have this conversation with us.
Where to listen:
- Apple Podcasts
- iHeart Radio
- Soundcloud (coming soon)
- Google Podcasts
- YouTube (coming soon)
This episode features commentary from the ecoustics team:
- Ian White – Editor-in-Chief
- Jeremy Sikora – Vintage Hi-Fi Columnist
- Eric Pye – Vintage Hi-Fi Columnist
- Mitch Anderson – Producer
- Jordan Pries, co-owner of The Electric Kitsch in Bay City, Michigan
- Record Store Day 2021: Exit to Vintage Street
- Record Store Day 2021: Around the US & CA
- Record Store Day Release List
- Original intro and outro music by The Arc of All.
- Voice Over Provided by Todd Harrell of SSP Unlimited.
- Production by Mitch Anderson, Black Circle Studios.
June 23, 2021 at 1:04 pm
Great podcast on RSD 2021. I would add how disappointed I was when I found my new RSD steely dan album has some big surface noise on two of the tracks. The quality of new vinyl keeps me away… I mean they charge so much and some of these albums are really bad quality. Is it that most customers are listening on their Crosley turntables? That’s what keeps me buying used man. My local shops still have used for between $10 and $20 us dollars. On RSD I bought one new and one used. Anyways, i’ll keep on listening to your podcast!
June 23, 2021 at 6:24 pm
Thank you for listening.
I had a less than awesome RSD 2021 and only managed to find 4 of the albums I really wanted post for more $$$$.
Some of the albums are definitely a sonic disappointment. Bad.